Professor, Theater Arts
Dance theory and technique, cognitive dance studies
Currently on Leave through June 30, 2022
Professional Experience: Boston Ballet, Boston, MA Houston Ballet, Houston, TX American Ballet Theater II, New York, NY
Education and Training:
2000 EdD, Human Development & Psychology, Harvard University
1995 EdM, Technology in Education, Harvard University
1994 EdM, Human Development & Psychology, Harvard University
1993 AB, English & Dramatic Literature, Boston College
1983 HS Diploma, Dance, North Carolina School of the Arts
- The Thinning Veil, Producer. Multi-site performance on the Internet connecting UCSC Theater Arts Center's Experimental Theater and the Digital Arts Research Center's Dark Lab, Santa Cruz, CA March 2-4, 8-11, 2012.
- Three Bodies, Choreographer. ZERO1 Biennial, San Jose, CA September 14, 2012; Interview: "The Three-Body Project," National Academies Keck Futures Initiative with Richard Harris, National Public Radio.
- Terra Nova, Creative Director. Ben Munisteri Dance Projects, Arts & Lectures Series, Mainstage Theater, Santa Cruz, CA April 13-14; Dance New Amsterdam Theater, 280 Broadway, NYC, NY May 31-June 3, 2007.
- Lubricious Transfer, Creative Director and co-Choreographer. Internet2 transcontinental performance connecting NYU Frederick Loewe Theater, NYC, NY and UCSC Experimental Theater, Santa Cruz, CA April 15 - 16, 2005.
- 2019. Warburton, E.C. Metonymy in dance: Ballet bunheads take a cognitive turn. Dance Research 37(1), 18-34.
- 2017. Dance marking diplomacy: Rehearsing intercultural exchange. Journal of Dance Education, 17(4), 131-137.
- 2016. Resonance in dance: The art of blending bodies. Art Research Journal, Special Issue, DANCE, ART OF THE BODY AND OTHER BODIES OF ARTS / Revista de Pesquisa em Arte, Especial Questão, DANÇA, ARTE DO CORPO E OUTROS CORPOS DAS ARTES, 3(2), 1-26.
- 2016. Becoming elsewhere: ArtsCross and the (re)location of performer cognition. In R. Blair and A. Cook (eds.) Languages, bodies, and ecologies: Theatre, performance, and Cognition (pp. 93-106). London: Methuen Publishers, Ltd.
- 2014. Engaging families in dance: An investigation of moving parents and children together. International Journal of Education & the Arts, 15(1), 1-27.
- 2013. (with Carol Press) Creating dance: A traveler's guide. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- 2013. The Cognitive benefits of movement reduction: Evidence from dance marking. Psychological Science, 24(9), 1732-39; Interview: "Dance and Cognition," All in the Mind, BBC Radio 4, October 12, 2013, with Claudia Hammond.
- 2011. Of meanings and movements: Re-languaging embodiment in dance phenomenology and cognition. Dance Research Journal, 43(2), 65-83.
- 2010. From Router to Front Row: Lubricious Transfer and the Aesthetics of Telematic Performance, Leonardo 43(1), 24-32.
Honors and Awards:
- 2019. Senior Fellow, Arnhold Institute for Dance Education Research, Policy and Leadership, Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2017. Julius and Rosa Sachs Distinguished Lecturer, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY.
- 2016. Outstanding Dance Researcher, National Dance Education Organization, Washington DC
- 2014 & 2007. Chancellor's Recognition of Outstanding Undergraduate Mentorship, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2012. Arts Division’s Excellence in Research Award, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2007. Research Fellow, Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Becket, MA
- 2003. Emerging Leader Award, National Dance Education Organization, Washington DC
- 1993. Morgan Award for Academic Excellence, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
- Becoming Dance: How the arts bring students' bodies back to school. Sachs Distinguished Lecture, Teachers College, Columbia University, NY, NY, February 21, 2018.
- Dance Marking Diplomacy. Annual meeting of the National Dance Education Organization, Washington DC, October 9, 2016.
- Of Meanings and Movements. State University of New York, The Center for Embodied Cognition Lecture Series on Mirroring Systems, Stony Brook, NY, March 6, 2014.
- So You Think When You Dance? UCSC Arts Division’s Outstanding Faculty Research Lecture, Santa Cruz, CA, May 16, 2013.
- Variations in dance translations. ArtsCross Beijing Conference, "On exchange: Translation and interpretation in practice, process, and performance." Beijing Dance Academy, Beijing, China, November 17, 2012.
- The pedagogy of rehearsal. ArtsCross Taipei Conference, "uncertain ... waiting." Taipei National University of the Arts College of Dance, Taipei, Taiwan, August 20, 2011.
- Telematics, Telepresence, and Interactive Dance Performance. Graduate School of Culture Technology, Korea Advanced Institute for Science and Technology, Daejeon, Korea, September 2, 2010.
A-218, Theater Arts Center, A-Building