NOTE: As campus has suspended in-person classes through spring quarter in response to COVID-19 (coronavirus), Theater Arts Academic Advising and other department office staff will work remotely.
Most advising questions can be answered by emailing Academic Advisor Moon Rinaldo, and/or you may make a phone appointment through SLUG SUCCESS or by emailing email@example.com.
Welcome to UCSC Theater Arts
It's never too early to begin planning your degree path or to simply ask about our programs, classes or productions. If you're not familiar with our department, this 2-minute animated video gives a fun overview and introduction!
If you still have questions after using the resources below, please do not hesitate to contact the advisor.
Moon is available in the department office to advise on all Theater Arts programs and courses and to help you define your academic goals, create an academic plan to assure timely graduation and to declare our degrees, assist with other bureaucratic paperwork and petitions, and guide you to appropriate faculty and staff as needed.
CURRENT UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
• The UNDERGRADUATE HANDBOOK is here. This detailed guide to our undergraduate degrees will answer most of your questions!
• Make advising appointments through SLUG SUCCESS here (or use the Advising link in your MyUCSC portal).
• Please see the SAMPLE UNDERGRADUATE PLANNERS for four-year and transfer students include Theater Arts major, Theater Arts minor and Dance minor plans and requirement checklists:
• Click here to view the planner and/or copy it into your Google Drive.
To use this Google Sheet document:
—Save it to your drive by going to the File menu in the sheet.
—Choose: Make a copy (choose a location in the Folder field then click OK).
Note the multiple tabs at the bottom to choose the appropriate sheet or sheets for your use. You may edit this unofficial copy as you wish for your own reference (once you meet with the academic advisor you an official copy will also be created for you).
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
• Please email Moon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS (graduate and undergraduate)
• Please email Moon at email@example.com.
DROP-IN ADVISING HOURS:
• DURING THE COVID-19 REMOTE WORK PERIOD, please email Moon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NORMAL HOURS: Monday–Friday, 9:30 am–12:00 pm & 1:00–3:00 pm.
NOTE: Advising is available on a walk-in basis during these hours if the advisor is available. To be sure you will be able to talk to the advisor, please make an appointment through SLUG SUCCESS here.
Course Offerings in Theater Arts & Dance
• Course offerings sheets for general planning can be found here.
In addition to working with your department academic advisor, it is important to be in contact with faculty, who serve as advisers but in a different way. Ladder rank faculty are here to mentor you, to help you with the direction of your work, and to give you ideas about possibilities after completing your B.A. Keep them informed of what you are doing and discuss your work and interests with them. When declaring the major a faculty adviser is assigned to you by the academic adviser. You should meet with this faculty advisor at least once per quarter, but you may and should meet with other faculty as well, as they can all be important and helpful resources for you. A faculty office hours sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and e-mail addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office.
• The most current faculty office hours and contact sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and email addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office, and in the faculty section on this page.
• Faculty bio and contact information is available here.
NOTE: When considering an internship, apprenticeship and job positions, as well as before applying to graduate school, it is highly recommended that you consult with at least one faculty advisor, preferably in a field related to the area(s) for which you are applying.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS / FAQs
Please click here for our FAQs.
CURRENT MAJOR AND MINOR REQUIREMENTS in the UCSC General Catalog:
Requirements can be found here. You may also request an academic planning form filled out with a suggested plan; just send me an email or request an appointment to meet with me in person (Moon, email@example.com).
CURRENT THEATER ARTS COURSE DESCRIPTIONS in the UCSC General Catalog:
Course descriptions can be found here. Note that NOT all courses are offered every year; only the current Schedule of Classes will list currently scheduled courses, but departments may have a tentative Course Offerings listing for the upcoming academic year to help you plan).
IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY DATES & DEADLINES:
University-wide dates and deadlines can be found here.
Department audition information can be found here, updated as it becomes available.
STAY INFORMED — SIGN UP FOR THEATER ARTS NEWS!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your UCSC email address added to the Theater Arts Notes list to receive news and info about upcoming Theater Arts Department events, including department audition information, as well as occasional non-departmental announcements that may interest our students (the list is not shared with any other department or organization and non-Theater Arts majors and minors may unsubscribe at any time).