NOTE: Theater Arts Academic Advising is working on a hybrid in-person/remote schedule.
Welcome to UCSC Theater Arts Academic Advising!
Thank you for your interest in Theater Arts and/or Dance at UC Santa Cruz!
- GRADUATE program information can be found here. Please send questions to: email@example.com.
- UNDERGRADUATE program overviews and links can be found in our FAQs page and on our About the Department page.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UCSC Admissions – General overview, Theater Arts page
- We are often asked if we have any supplemental, program-specific audition or application requirements for admittance into theater or dance programs. The answer is, no! Undergraduates admitted to UCSC may choose to enter with a status of Proposed Theater Arts major. This puts incoming students "on the radar" of the Theater Arts academic advisor to be contacted directly with relevant Theater Arts program-specific information in advance of your arrival on campus. It is not necessary, however, to enter as a proposed theater arts student or to be affiliated with our programs, to enroll in our courses, audition for our productions, or work toward declaring theater arts or dance degrees. Students may begin pursuing the Theater Arts major, minor or Dance minor after entering as long as there is time to complete the degree(s) – this can be determined by the program's academic advisor.
ADMITTED & CURRENT STUDENTS
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Please email Moon at email@example.com with questions.
- GRADUATE INDEPENDENT STUDIES The form to petition for individual studies can be found here. Once the form is completed, an advisor will send you the course ID to use for enrollment
CURRENT UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
The following resources are only accessible to the UCSC community, so you must be logged into your UCSC Google account:
- Welcome information:
- Video recording of Fall 2023 Theater Arts Advising Orientation (with Moon Rinaldo, Theater Arts Academic Advisor)
- Slideshow used in the advising presentation, with helpful links (a few edits and updates were made after the presentation for accuracy)
It's never too early to begin planning your degree path or to simply ask about our programs, classes or productions. If you're not familiar with our program, this 2-minute animated video gives a fun overview!
Moon Rinaldo (she/her) is the Academic Advisor for the undergraduate Theater Arts major and minor, the dance minor, and the Master of Arts in Theater Arts. If you still have questions after using the resources on this page, please do not hesitate to contact Moon. She is available throughout the year to advise on degree declaration and course requirements, courses offerings, to help you define your academic goals, to create an academic plan to assure timely graduation, and to assist with petitions, etc., as well as to guide you to other appropriate faculty and staff as needed.
THEATER ARTS UNDERGRADUATE HANDBOOK
- Most advising questions for current undergraduates are answered on this Advising page or in the THEATER ARTS UNDERGRADUATE HANDBOOK, a detailed guide to our undergraduate degrees!
MAKE AN UNDERGRAD ADVISING APPOINTMENT!
- Current UCSC undergrads make an in-person or Zoom advising appointments with Academic Advisor Moon Rinaldo through NAVIGATE SLUG SUCCESS and/or email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
THEATER ARTS NEWSLETTER
- Subscribe to the THEA NOTES Theater Arts Google Group Newsletter – click here!
SAMPLE UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC PLANS
- Click here to copy a full set of sample THEATER ARTS ACADEMIC PLANS into your Google Drive (then delete tabs in the document that do not apply to you). This Sheets document included sample plans for four-year and transfer students, including Theater Arts major, Theater Arts minor and Dance minor plans, as well as requirements checklists.
- Undergrad degree declaration information can be found in the The Theater Arts Undergrad Handbook here.
UNDERGRADUATE INDEPENDENT STUDIES
- The form to petition for individual studies can be found here. Once the form is completed, an advisor will send you the course ID to use for enrollment
FAQs about Undergraduate Degrees in Theater Arts
- Please click here for our Frequently Asked Questions.
CURRENT MAJOR AND MINOR REQUIREMENTS in the UCSC General Catalog:
- Requirements can be found here. You may also request an academic planning form filled out with a suggested plan; just send me an email or request an appointment to meet with me in person (Moon, email@example.com).
CURRENT THEATER ARTS COURSE DESCRIPTIONS in the UCSC General Catalog:
- Course descriptions can be found here. Note that NOT all courses are offered every year; only the current Schedule of Classes will list currently scheduled courses, but departments may have a tentative Course Offerings listing for the upcoming academic year to help you plan).
CURRENT COURSE OFFERINGS
- Course offerings sheets for general planning can be found here.
In addition to working with your department academic advisor, it is important to be in contact with faculty, who serve as mentors. Ladder rank faculty are here to help you with the direction of your work, and to give you ideas about possibilities after completing your B.A. Keep them informed of what you are doing and discuss your work and interests with them. When declaring the major a faculty adviser is assigned to you by the academic adviser. You should meet with this faculty advisor at least once per quarter, but you may and should meet with other faculty as well, as they can all be important and helpful resources for you. A faculty office hours sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and e-mail addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office.
• The most current faculty office hours and contact sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and email addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office, and in the faculty section on this page.
• Faculty bio and contact information is available here.
NOTE: When considering an internship, apprenticeship and job positions, as well as before applying to graduate school, it is highly recommended that you consult with at least one faculty advisor, preferably in a field related to the area(s) for which you are applying.
IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY DATES & DEADLINES
University-wide dates and deadlines can be found here.
STATEMENT ON SOCIAL EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Please click here for the department's Statement of Diversity.
IMPORTANT CAMPUS HEALTH & SAFETY CONTACTS & OTHER RESOURCES
Please see a list of helpful campus resources in the Theater Arts Undergraduate handbook here.
PRODUCTION AUDITION INFORMATION
Department production audition information can be found here, updated as it becomes available.
STAY INFORMED — SIGN UP FOR THEATER ARTS NEWS!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your UCSC email address added to the Theater Arts Notes list to receive news and info about upcoming Theater Arts events, including audition information, as well as occasional forwarded outside announcements that may interest our students (the list is not shared with any other department or organization and non-Theater Arts majors and minors may unsubscribe at any time).