NOTE: Theater Arts Academic Advising is working on a hybrid in-person/remote schedule.
Welcome to UCSC Theater Arts
Most advising questions are answered on this Advising page or in the
THEATER ARTS UNDERGRADUATE HANDBOOK.
It's never too early to begin planning your degree path or to simply ask about our programs, classes or productions. If you're not familiar with our program, this 2-minute animated video gives a fun overview!
- In-person and Zoom appointments are available between 9:30 am and 2:00 pm, Monday–Friday.
- Zoom appointments are also available between 2:30 pm and 3:30 pm, Monday–Friday.
- Schedule advising appointments through Navigate Slug Success.
- In-person appointments take place in the Performance, Play & Design department office, Theater Arts Center, J Building, Room J106.
- To park, you will use the Arts Parking Lot #126 – see directions and map here. You may use the ParkMobile ParkMobile app (campus parking map), or visitors may purchase a temporary 1-Day permit from the Main Entrance Kiosk, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mon–Fri.
If you still have questions after using the resources below, please do not hesitate to contact Moon. She is available throughout the year to advise on degree declaration and course requirements, courses offerings, to help you define your academic goals, to create an academic plan to assure timely graduation, and to assist with petitions, etc., as well as to guide you to other appropriate faculty and staff as needed.
CURRENT UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
• The UNDERGRADUATE HANDBOOK is here – this detailed guide to our undergraduate degrees will answer most of your questions!
• Make advising appointments through SLUG SUCCESS here (or use the Advising link in your MyUCSC portal).
• SAMPLE UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC PLANS for four-year and transfer students, including Theater Arts major, Theater Arts minor and Dance minor plans as well as requirement checklists:
- Click here to copy a full set of THEATER ARTS ACADEMIC PLANNERS into your Google Drive (then delete tabs in the document that do not apply to you).
• MAJOR/MINOR DECLARATION information can be found in the The Theater Arts Undergrad Handbook here.
• UNDERGRADUATE INDEPENDENT STUDIES The form to petition for individual studies can be found here. Once the form is completed, an advisor will send you the course ID to use for enrollment
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
• Please email Moon at email@example.com.
• GRADUATE INDEPENDENT STUDIES The form to petition for individual studies can be found here. Once the form is completed, an advisor will send you the course ID to use for enrollment
PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS (graduate and undergraduate)
• UNDERGRADUATE program overviews and links can be found in our FAQs page and on our About the Department page. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• GRADUATE program informtion can be found here. Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
In addition to working with your department academic advisor, it is important to be in contact with faculty, who serve as mentors. Ladder rank faculty are here to help you with the direction of your work, and to give you ideas about possibilities after completing your B.A. Keep them informed of what you are doing and discuss your work and interests with them. When declaring the major a faculty adviser is assigned to you by the academic adviser. You should meet with this faculty advisor at least once per quarter, but you may and should meet with other faculty as well, as they can all be important and helpful resources for you. A faculty office hours sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and e-mail addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office.
• The most current faculty office hours and contact sheet, updated each quarter, including phone numbers, office locations, and email addresses, is available in the department office and in the hallway outside of the office, and in the faculty section on this page.
• Faculty bio and contact information is available here.
NOTE: When considering an internship, apprenticeship and job positions, as well as before applying to graduate school, it is highly recommended that you consult with at least one faculty advisor, preferably in a field related to the area(s) for which you are applying.
FAQs about Undergraduate Degrees in the UCSC Theater Arts Department
Please click here for our Frequently Asked Questions.
CURRENT MAJOR AND MINOR REQUIREMENTS in the UCSC General Catalog:
Requirements can be found here. You may also request an academic planning form filled out with a suggested plan; just send me an email or request an appointment to meet with me in person (Moon, firstname.lastname@example.org).
CURRENT THEATER ARTS COURSE DESCRIPTIONS in the UCSC General Catalog:
Course descriptions can be found here. Note that NOT all courses are offered every year; only the current Schedule of Classes will list currently scheduled courses, but departments may have a tentative Course Offerings listing for the upcoming academic year to help you plan).
CURRENT COURSE OFFERINGS
Course offerings sheets for general planning can be found here.
IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY DATES & DEADLINES
University-wide dates and deadlines can be found here.
STATEMENT ON SOCIAL EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Please click here for the department's Statement of Diversity.
IMPORTANT CAMPUS HEALTH & SAFETY CONTACTS & OTHER RESOURCES
Please see a list of helpful campus resources in the Theater Arts Undergraduate handbook here.
Department audition information can be found here, updated as it becomes available.
STAY INFORMED — SIGN UP FOR THEATER ARTS NEWS!
Email email@example.com to have your UCSC email address added to the Theater Arts Notes list to receive news and info about upcoming Theater Arts events, including audition information, as well as occasional forwarded outside announcements that may interest our students (the list is not shared with any other department or organization and non-Theater Arts majors and minors may unsubscribe at any time).