WINTER 2023 PRODUCTION AUDITIONS
- THEA 151A - African American Theater Arts Troupe (AATAT) auditions will take place on DECEMBER 5th and 6th of Fall Quarter.
- Auditions for THEA 55A/B (Barnstorm) are TBD. Check back here for details!
- RWAP Auditions took place in Fall, per our normal schedule.
- Please check back here for more updates coming soon.
Audition Sign ups:
- Sign up sheets will be posted outside the Mainstage/A Building Green Room (behind the Theater Arts Center Mainstage
- Time: TBD
- Signups are on a first-come, first served basis
Audition Dates, Times & Location:
THEA 151A AATAT Auditions:
- Dates: Tuesday and Wednesday, December 5th and 6th
- Times: 7–9:00 pm
- Location: Theater Arts Mainstage (TA 100)
THEA 55A/B Barnstorm Auditions:
- Dates: TBD
- Times: TBD
- Location: TBD
CHECK BACK HERE SOON!
THEA 151A AATAT Callbacks:
- Dec 6th, Time TBD, by invitation-only
- TBD, by invitation-only
THEA 151A AATAT: Be prepared to perform a monologue a minute and a half or two minutes in length. Some may be asked to perform a movement piece* (60 seconds according to general auditions requirements) or a song (30 seconds according to past general audition requirements). Not everyone will have to perform these extra pieces, but it is recommended that you come prepared. These extra pieces are in order to cast a couple of key parts that are looking to be fulfilled.
THEA 55A/55B Barnstorm Company: Please check back here soon for updates about audition requirements.
General Audition Requirements:
- 90 second monologue
- 60 second movement piece *
- 30 second music piece (voice and/or instrument) **
MOVEMENT PIECE: Unless any of the auditioning shows are musicals, the movement piece is primarily meant to demonstrate that you are comfortable in your body on stage (or at least can act as though you are!), and that you are willing to move on stage vs. staying in a narrow comfort zone of standing or sitting in one place. The movement section also offers you an opportunity to demonstrate any particular movement or performance skill if you happen to have any—e.g., pantomime, clowning, acrobatics, juggling, dance. Otherwise, even jumping jacks, the macarena, running back and forth, etc., can show a basic willingness to move in front of people. If one of the auditioning shows is a musical, and/or if any of the directors want to see specific pieces or skills, there will be details above the sign up sheet or instructions will be given for those invited to callbacks.
– PLEASE NOTE: Accompanists are NOT provided. If you feel it necessary, you may play music with a portable music device, e.g., a smart phone with speakers or old-time boom-box, though this is not required (singing may be a cappella and movement pieces may be silent).
MASKS ARE NOT REQUIRED BUT STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
Questions or concerns about Auditions?
- Email the Theater Arts Student Production Liaison: email@example.com.
- The Theater Arts advisor can also answer basic questions about auditions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upper Division Production:
THEA 151A African American Theater Arts Troupe (AATAT)
Clyde's by Lynn Nottage
Directed by Don Williams
In Clyde's, a truck stop sandwich shop offers its formerly incarcerated kitchen staff a shot at redemption. Even as the shop’s callous owner tries to keep them down, the staff members learn to reclaim their lives, find purpose, and become inspired to dream by their shared quest to create the perfect sandwich.
Casting calls for:
- 2 African-American women
- 1 African-American man, 1 Latino man, 1 Caucasian man - understudy opportunities available!
- Please arrive in clothing comfortable enough to move in!
- 5-unit course, Thea 151 a, Studies in performance:
African American Theater Arts Troupe
See the Audition Details section below.
Lower Division Production:
Barnstorm Theater Company–THEA 55A/B
Barnstorm productions will be announced soon! Check back here for updated information.
24-Hour Theater is a one-act theater festival where participants divide into groups to write, rehearse, and perform an original piece in 24 hours. The inspiration for these one-acts will come from a poll on the Barn’s Instagram account based on a topic (previous topics have included poetry and paintings).
- 24-Hour Theater is on a sign-up basis, no audition is required.
BARNSTORM REQUIREMENTS NOTES:
- Units earned for Barnstorm will be determined by the number of hours a student commits to (5 or 2 credits).
- ONLY the THEA 55A (5-unit) class may be used toward the Production Requirement for the THEA major.
Questions about Barnstorm?
- Email the Barnstorm Director through their contact page or email the Theater Arts Student Production Liaison: email@example.com.
- The Theater Arts advisor can also answer basic questions about Barnstorm: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Musical Theater Cabaret (previously known as Musical Theater Scenes) – has left Barnstorm and is no longer a THEA 55A/B class. Musical Theatre Cabaret (previously known as Musical Theater Scenes) will be operating as a club this year! MTC is a variety show-style compilation of various musical theatre performances including song, acting, and dance. Flexible schedules may be an option in order to allow students of all majors to participate. The theme for this year's show will be "Miscast!" Audition date TBD. For MTC details, contact the directors: Izzy Pedego: email@example.com and Eleven Turoff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE AUDITION INFORMATION
QUESTIONS ABOUT PRODUCTION AUDITIONS?
Contact the Theater Arts Student Production Liaison: email@example.com.
BARNSTORM GENERAL INFO
To inquire about auditioning or doing technical work for the student-run Barnstorm Theater Company, contact the Barnstorm Directors — https://ucscbarnstorm.weebly.com/contact.html. The Theater Arts advisor can also answer basic questions about Barnstorm: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about Barnstorm can be found on the Barnstorm website: http://theater.ucsc.edu/production/barnstorm
RANDOM WITH A PURPOSE GENERAL INFO
Auditions for the annual student-choreographed, student-performed, student-produced dance showcase Random with a Purpose (RWAP) usually take place the quarter BEFORE the production, separate from General Auditions. Students who are accepted via audition enroll in THEA 139 (THEA 139 fulfills an upper division requirement elective for the Dance Minor or Theater Arts major, or an upper division studio requirement for the Theater Arts minor). Please email email@example.com with questions. The Theater Arts advisor can also answer basic questions about RWAP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DESIGN WORK & STAGE MANAGEMENT FOR PRODUCTIONS
Please see the “Tech Interest Form”/ Production Experience & Interest Form section in the Theater Arts Undergraduate Handbook.
BY-AUDITION OR INSTRUCTOR PERMISSION STUDIO COURSES
Production auditions are different from those required for admittance into our studio courses (courses which mention "audition" or "interview" in the course description).
Please see the By-Audition or Instructor Permission Studio Courses of the Undergraduate Handbook for more information.
PRODUCTION REQUIREMENT FOR THE MAJOR
One of the requirements for the Theater Arts major is participation in a 5-unit THEA production.
Please see the Production Requirement for the Major section of the Theater Arts Undergraduate Handbook for more information on fulfilling this requirement as a performer, designer or dramaturg. Questions about degree requirements? Contact the Theater Arts Academic Advisor via email, email@example.com, or schedule an appointment through Navigate Slug Success.
Current and upcoming performance and ticketing information can be found here.